Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)

Q. Where do I go for training? Where are the CSI training room located?

A. The location will appear on the top of your completed booking forms. The most common training room for CSI is located on level 2, Quality Hotel Dickson ACT 2602. If you are unsure please check your emails that the booking forms were sent to as CSI staff send a location map as well as the booking forms.

Please park underneath the Dickson Tradies Club in the car park and head towards the double lifts. Select level 2. Follow the silver handrail around to the right hand side of the room, around to the door and the training rooms are located here.

Q. What do I do about the parking at the Dickson Tradies Club?

A. Make sure you see your trainer before you leave for the day and they will give you a new card for parking. CSI can not reimburse parking already paid.

Q. What is the Training Fund Authority (TFA)?

A. For Participants to be eligible for the GAP price instead of the retail price, they must meet the requirement’s from the ACT Building and Construction Industry Training Fund Authority (TFA).

An Eligible person for is any person usually working in or in connection with the building and construction Industry in the ACT who is substantially (at least 80%) performing “work liable for the training levy” or is a person deemed as an eligible person on the application to the authority.

Q. When will I receive my card or certificate?

A. The Standards require and RTO to issue AQF certification documentation within 30 calendar days of a participant being assessed as meeting the requirements of their training program. Please note, cards and certificates are not issued until full payment of Invoice has been received. 

Q. What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI) number and how do I make sure the number is correct?

A. The Unique Student Identifier (USI) number is an alpha-numeric code linked to your Australian education. For further information, please go to the following website:

 Please make sure you have provided the correct details as registered with USI when enrolling into a course.

Q. Do you provide a letter of attendance?

A. A letter of attendance can be given upon request. This will only be a letter of attendance and will not detail competency of the course.

Q. I will need a translator and can this be my friend?

A. Participants who require a translator will need to engage with a third party independent organisation to provide translating services for the day of training. The participant will be required to cover the costs associated with the translating services. Due to being an independent third party service the Translator can help with the training and assessment on the day.